Some have expressed their view regarding the Tabernacle as it is fully covered. One preacher expressed that the lamp is glowing in the holy place always as it is dark inside all the time.
Hence it is necessary to explain the rearing up of the tabernacle as given in the Holy Bible.
The size of the Tabernacle is 30×10 cubits, in which the Holy place is 20×10 cubits and the Most Holy Place is 10×10 cubits. In order to cover the Tabernacle there are four coverings.
- Tabernacle (Exodus. 16: 1-6),
- Covering made up of curtains of goats’ hair (Exodus. 26: 7-13)
- (Exodus 26:14) Covering made up of rams’ skins dyed red.
- Covering made up of badgers’ skins. (Exodus 26:14)
(Exodus 26:1-6) Moreover thou shalt make the tabernacle with ten curtains of fine twined linen, and blue, and purple, and scarlet: with cherubims of cunning work shalt thou make them.
- The length of one curtain shall be eight and twenty cubits, and the breadth of one curtain four cubits: and every one of the curtains shall have one measure.
- The five curtains shall be coupled together one to another; and other five curtains shall be coupled one to another.
- And thou shalt make loops of blue upon the edge of the one curtain from the selvedge in the coupling; and likewise shalt thou make in the uttermost edge of another curtain, in the coupling of the second.
- Fifty loops shalt thou make in the one curtain, and fifty loops shalt thou make in the edge of the curtain that is in the coupling of the second; that the loops may take hold one of another.
- And thou shalt make fifty taches of gold, and couple the curtains together with the taches: and it shall be one tabernacle. Hence the size of the tabernacle is 40×28 cubits. (Exodus 26:7, 8)
- And thou shalt make curtains of goats’ hair to be a covering upon the tabernacle: eleven curtains shalt thou make.
- The length of one curtain shall be thirty cubits, and the breadth of one curtain four cubits: and the eleven curtains shall be all of one measure. Hence the size of the covering upon the tabernacle is 44×30 cubits. (Exodus 26: 9,12,13)
- And thou shalt couple five curtains by themselves, and six curtains by themselves, and shalt double the sixth curtain in the forefront of the tabernacle.
- And the remnant that remaineth of the curtains of the tent, the half curtain that remaineth, shall hang over the backside of the tabernacle.
- And a cubit on the one side, and a cubit on the other side of that which remaineth in the length of the curtains of the tent, it shall hang over the sides of the tabernacle on this side and on that side, to cover it. Sixth curtain in the fore front is doubled and hence the length is 42 cubits. (44-2=42) The half curtain in the rear is hanging and hence the straight length without hanging is 40 cubits. (42-2=40). In the width, one cubit hangs on both sides. Hence the width of non-hanging portion is 28 cubits. (30-2=28) Here we understand that the non-hanging portion of the size of the covering of goats’ hair is reduced from 44×30 to 40×28 which is equal to the size of the tabernacle. (Exodus 26:14)
- And thou shalt make a covering for the tent of rams’ skins dyed red, and a covering above of badgers’ skins. Above the covering of goats’ hair, the covering of rams’ skins dyed red is placed. And above it, a covering of badgers’ skins. As these two coverings are placed above, and the sizes are not mentioned, it could be same as the non-hanging portion of the covering which is 40×28 cubits.
Now let us think how the lower most tabernacle of size 40×28 cubits will be placed upon the Holy place and the Most Holy place of size 30×10 cubits without hanging any portion in any side?
Only by referring to the diagram given we can understand it is possible.
How 40 cubits’ length will stand upon 30 cubits’ length without hanging any portion on any side? Similarly, how 28 cubits’ width will stand upon 10 cubits’ width without hanging any portion on any side?
One must agree that a Tent requires Tent Poles, though it is not referred in the Bible.
Also in (Exodus 40:18, 19) the procedure of rearing up of the Tabernacle is given.
(Exodus 40:18) And Moses reared up the tabernacle, and fastened his sockets, and set up the boards thereof, and put in the bars thereof, and reared up his pillars.
19 And he spread abroad the tent over the tabernacle, and put the covering of the tent above upon it; as the LORD commanded Moses.
As regards to the rearing of the Tent only, the following four steps are done by Moses as God commanded.
- Reared up the Tabernacle.
- Spread abroad the tent over the tabernacle.
- Put the covering of the tent above it.
- Put the final covering of the tent above it. (Hidden step)
Hence it is concluded that tent poles were used but found omitted in the scripture.
Also, this tabernacle was in the wilderness for a period of forty years, and later was reared up permanently at Shiloh in Israel for some period, where God blessed the land with much rain and other blessings. It is only possible to be safe in the rain and wind if it is reared up as shown in the sketch. Also, as God planned it to have safe extension in front and rear sides of the boards or Holy and Most Holy places, by providing forty cubits of length of the tabernacle against the Holy and Most Holy places of a length of thirty cubits, having five cubits’ extension at front and rear sides. Similarly, five cubits of extension on both the sides is possible with the width of the tabernacle measuring twenty-eight cubits against the width of Holy and Most Holy places of ten cubits. So the Holy and Most Holy places kept well in the center of the tabernacle coverings. (The figures shown are approximate but close to the correct figures.)